Legacy Post Disclaimer

This is a #Legacy post imported from Holmes County Advertiser’s previous platform. If you’re experiencing issues with this article, please email us at [email protected].

Friday night fire incident at DMH turns out to be minor

A minor fire incident had Holmes and Washington County first responders en route to Doctors Memorial Hospital (DMH) late Friday evening.

Bonifay Fire Department (BFD) Assistant Fire Chief Travis Cook said dispatch received the call at 8:25 p.m. and advised units that the hospital’s medical/surgical unit was experiencing smoke coming from the air conditioning vents.

BFD Engine 1 and Tanker 1 responded with nine personnel, most of whom rushed from the football game watching the Blue Devils beat the Jay Royals 42-23, within five minutes of the call.

Out of caution, Cook said BFD requested mutual aid from Esto, Gritney, Westville, Ponce de Leon and Chipley. Firefighters found a light smoke showing near the nurses’ station in the medical/surgical unit area.



Cook said the Engine 1 crew accessed the roof to investigate the HVAC units. A faulty electrical HVAC component was found to be the cause of the smoke. Once the issue was isolated to the origin, all mutual aid requests were canceled.

The property was turned over to the hospital’s maintenance department on scene.



Similar Posts

Leave a Reply